Business Objects is a French enterprise software company, specializing in business intelligence (BI). The company claims more than 42,000 customers worldwide. Their flagship product is BusinessObjects XI, with components that provide performance management, planning, reporting, analysis, and enterprise information management.
Business Objects is now part of SAP AG. On Oct 7, 2007, SAP announced it was acquiring Business Objects for $6.8B. As of January 22nd 2008, the corporation is fully operated by SAP. This is seen as part of a growing consolidation trend in the business software industry.
Business Objects had two headquarters in San Jose, California, and Paris, France. Its largest office was in Vancouver, BC. The company's stock is traded on both the Nasdaq and Euronext Paris (BOB) stock exchanges.
The company was founded in 1990 in Paris by Bernard Liautaud, and in 1991, signed its first customer, France Télécom.
- 1990, launched BusinessObjects Skipper SQL 2.0.x
- 1994, launched BusinessObjects v3.0 and went public on the NASDAQ — the first European company in history to do so.
- 1996, entered the OLAP market and launched BusinessObjects v4.0.
- 1997, Introduced WebIntelligence.
- 1999, Went public in France on the Premier Marché. Acquired Next Action Technologies.
- 2000, Acquired OLAP@Work.
- 2001, Acquired Blue Edge Software.
- 2002, Acquired Acta Technologies.
- 2003, Acquired Crystal Decisions. Released Dashboard Manager, BusinessObjects Enterprise 6, and BusinessObjects Performance Manager.
- 2004, Launched Crystal v10 and BusinessObjects v6.5
- 2005, Launched BusinessObjects XI. Acquired SRC Software, Infommersion, and Medience.
- 2006, Acquired Firstlogic, Inc., ALG, and Nsite Software, Inc. Launched Crystal Xcelsius,
- 2007, Acquired Cartesis and Inxight.
- 2008, On 22 January Business Objects was acquired by SAP.
- BusinessObjects XI (XI Release 3 is the latest version)
- common services to simplify deployment and management of BI tools
- query and analysis - self-service reporting.
- Enterprise Information Management (EIM) - querying and analysis through ETL or EII.
- Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) - dashboards, scorecards, analytics, and alerting.
- Enterprise Reporting - Crystal Reports
- Data Visualization - Crystal Xcelsius
- Business Intelligence OnDemand – SaaS BI software hosted on the web by Business Objects.